Monday 11 March 2013

There and back on Mothers Day.

Yesterday was Mothers Day here in the UK. I hope all you Mums out there had a special day with your loved ones.
This is my little home made gift to my lovely Mum, a scissor keeper covered in silk ribbon embroidery and French knots.
All wrapped up in a little matching handmade box.
(She loved it)
I had a super day with wonderful man and my beautiful daughter, unfortunately there was one person missing, my son who is away at university.

 We popped out for lunch and I happily snapped away along the journey for you. This is the famous Ribblehead Viaduct. 
 We're driving through the Yorkshire Dales on our way to Kirkby Lonsdale just over the border in Lancashire.
 Little flurries of snow threatened us all day but luckily only settled on the hill tops.

 Not much in the way of traffic!



Lunch! Yummy. I can't share our bimble through the village as I was far too busy window shopping to take photos, sorry. And there are some seriously lovely shops in Kirkby Londsdale. 
The sun came out for our journey home, glorious!



 Back past the viaduct again.


I love this little house at the side of the road, every year a little more of it falls down.




not far now, the whole journey only takes about 45 minutes.

And today...
from the attic window, snow...

snow...
snow.
Yep it's snowed all day on and off, but I don't mind. I've just taken delivery of MY mothers day gift....15 balls of wool, WHOOHOO!
Thank you to my beautiful family, I had a wonderful day. x
Fi x

18 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

It has been a disgusting day here too Fi.
A friend and I go often to Kirby Lonsdale - yes, I agree the shops are lovely. We usually eat in Avanti or occasionally Plato's.
Another good place to go for a meal not too far from you is The Black Swan at Ravenstonedale.

Swallow Barn said...

what glorious photos - so beautiful. we sometimes go to Hawes for the day - gorgeous countryside!

Nikki x

sweetbriardreams said...

You live in such a beautiful part of the country. I love the dry stone walls. Lunch looks equally beautiful! We had snow here in Lincolnshire also, but it fell like polystyrene balls, it all looked very strange. Enjoy the rest of your week. Chel x

Tea with Prudence said...

That was such an exquisitely beautiful gift for your mum.

As usual, your photos are gorgeous - and evocative. The trip photos reminded me of heartbeat.

But my favourites were the ones you took from the attic window. Brill.

cheers
Fi

Anonymous said...

Oh Fi! I LOVE what you made for your Mum! What a lovely gift :)))
If you ever makes any to sell, I for sure want one! It looks and sounds like your Mother's Day was divine. And all that new wool! Woo~Hoo!!!
Danette

Susan Smith said...

Beautiful present for your Mum and the photos of the dales made me homesick (and I'm not English) but love them so much. Found your blog by accident and think it may go on my favourites list. Have fun with your wool.

Noelle the dreamer said...

It sounds as if you had a lovely Mum's Day Fiona! (I get to celebrate twice!).
Scissors keeper? Oh Fiona...Your Mum must have been beside herself with joy, it's stunning! (At this rate Dear, Ex-RAF flyboy will soon be bankrupted!)
What lovely countryside, so reminiscent of All Creatures Great & Small!

Anonymous said...

I've driven along that road several times in the past, so it was lovely to have a reminder of how bleak yet beautiful it is in parts, and especially with a covering of snow on the tops. Thank you for sharing.

dottycookie said...

What a glorious drive - but brrrrr! You live in a very beautiful part of the country, that's for sure.

Gilly Tee said...

Great photos. The other half has just said over my shoulder," That's very pretty" Praise indeed from the king of understatement.
Gillx

Judith said...

I too live in Yorkshire and just love those moors. Kirby Lonsdale is a beautiful spot. I'm sure you had a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing the photographs. Judith x

Twiglet said...

Thanks for the ride through the Dales. Beautiful photos x Jo

Maria said...

~ Hello there....I was drawn to your post on Kirby Lonsdale, as I often bimble through this quaint little village too....Isn't it just a treat to stop and browse and take in the lovely houses and sweet shops...Ooh I must confess I have it on my 'WISH' list to live...'The Sun' is where we normally take a bite to eat...With kind thoughts..Maria x

An Aussie Felter said...

What a lovely day ... and gorgeous gift! The countryside and snow is beautiful.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

The scissor Keeper you made for your MUM is absolutely gorgeous. Love it. Beautiful created indeed. Love all the lovely British countryside photos. Hugs Judy

Claire said...

Beautiful photos Fi, just love the bleakness of the country side .......
have enjoyed my trip through the Dales.....thankyou. Sounds like you had a lovely day out and that gift for your mum is just beautiful. I think I would just keep it in it's sweet little box and admire it Fi....

Claire x

sandiart said...

Love your little felt pictures so endearing. The photos in this post made me feel all homesick, but I have never been there! Thank you for sharing them.
xx Sandi

Kate said...

Such a beautiful gift you made for your mom - she's a lucky lady.
I very much enjoyed the photos that you posted.