Wednesday 31 December 2008

Patchwork Finished, 2008 Finished.

New Years Eve. The last day of 2008. My Dads birthday.


Happy Birthday Dad, I love you. x


We're all cosied up here, on this exceptionally icy new years eve. Today we woke to a beautiful hoar frost. No pics though as it has been too foggy all day, I'll try tomorrow if it still looks as pretty.

Well I've finally finished child #2 patchwork quilt and I am rather chuffed with it, as you can see!

It took me three evenings to hand stitch the binding down, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. My little finger tips were sore when I'd finished but I do love stitching by hand.

I've got to be honest here, I didn't embroider these. These embroidered squares were cut from an old tablecloth bought from a car boot sale. I did embroider the little 'with love' message and my name and date on the reverse though. (hopefully one day it might be a family heirloom)

It's set me off. I want to do some applique and hand embroidery. Only I'm not quite sure what to do.

Maybe a small wall hanging or even a quilted wall hanging. I've brought my sketch book out to have a doodle, to see what I can come up with.


Right. That's all from me for this year. I wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year, and thank you for all the comments you leave and the support you give. It's been very much appreciated.
You give my days a little sparkle.

16 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

Wow, it looks AMAZING! You must be so proud of it. I love the idea of the binding around the edge, I've never tried that but I must! I want to do some sewing now :)

Happy New Year to you and the family! Mel xxx

Joanne said...

Wow the quilt looks fantastic made with such love you should be very proud of all your hard work.
This is one of my goals for 2009 to make a patchwork quilt for my daughter. You've inspired me.

Happy New Year may 2009 bring you many crafting hours, oh and happiness and health.

Joanne xx

Simone said...

You give my days sparkle too! What a beautiful quilt you have made. I am sure it will become a family heirloom. I hope that you have a happy, healthy and prosperous new year. x

Leisa said...

the quilt is just beautiful. I especially love the embroidered squares you have included. Happy New Year!

roseroomnz.com said...

It is very, very beautiful! Happy New Year! Rachaelxo

LinenandRoses said...

The quilt looks really beautiful. No wonder you're pleased with yourself. Definitely an heirloom of the future.
A very happy new year to you. Wishing you a very happy and healthy 2009. Fiona

Hen said...

Beautiful quilt, well done you.
Happy New Year!
Hen x

Joanne said...

Hi Fi, thank you for your comment. please do keep checking on my quilt progress in might help if i've got someone cheering me on.
It's going to take a while as i need to start collecting some fabric for it as I don't have the right fabric at the moment.
Thanks again for the encouragement.
Joanne.xx

Shabby Chick said...

You might want to have a look at my blog this morning..... ;) xxx

Alchamillamolly said...

Wow I love the quilt - I am sure she will treasure it. My Nana did a beautiful single one of blue hexagons it needs backing and finishing - one of my resolutions for this year. so when I get fitted wardrobes in my alcoves it can sit on top rolled up. Hmm I think I blogged that as one of my resolutions at the end of 2007!

Beki said...

WOW!! What a beautiful quilt. I really wish I could do something like this. You must be so proud of yourself.
Happy New Year
Take care
Beki xxx

Shabby Chick said...

Yay, I'm so glad that you're pleased!!! Well done! I hope you'll post a pic of wherever you decide to hang it :)

I haven't had an email from you yet (let me know if you've already sent one as it might be playing up) but I will send it to you as soon as I have your address.

Mel xxx

Poppy said...

Sorry I realized I left my message in the comments below!
I was having a blond moment!!!

I have had a good read through your blog,and really enjoyed it!
Lou xxx

No one is you ...& that's your power said...

That is a gorgeous patchwork quilt, I hope you are very proud of yourself, lovely patches of fabric.Your daughter is very lucky!
Just stumbled across your blog. x Dom

Attic24 said...

Fi :: hello, happy new year to you!
Have to say that is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL thing I've seen in a long time, I love the fabrics you've used and the simplicity of it is so beautiful and refreshing. Gorgeous!
Lx

Tinyholder said...

That patchwork quilt is amazing!