Thursday 20 January 2011

Well I've started this year with real gusto my friends! (Lets hope I can keep it up, lol)

I'll apologise now for the speed with which I whizz you through this post but my little sewing machine has been so busy over the first 20 days of 2011 that I'm afraid we'll get behind with each other.

So without further ado lets get this post on the road...


Do you remember this beautiful piece of embroidery? I found it dirty and crumpled in a box that I bought from a charity shop labelled 'Granny Pilleys embroidery' well over a year ago.

Gorgeous isn't it?

At the moment there is a lack of comfy sofa cushions in the MarmaladeRose household due to me having a tizzy fit just before Christmas and chucking out our old worn and threadbare cushion covers. I did of course being the thrifty madam that I am, cut off the zippers and pass on the worn almost pancake flat inner pads to Sneaky Dog for her bed. (and very pleased she was with them too) So there has been a dearth of cushions on Wonderful Mans sofa which hasn't gone unnoticed I can tell you.

Being the good wifey that I am, I thriftily (I think we'll be seeing a lot of that word this year) rummage around in the numerous boxes stashed in the loft for said piece of fabric, I gave it a wash and hey presto it looked shipshape and shiny!(and smelt much better too!)

I did tremble a bit before I cut into the fabric. It's such a fine piece of embroidery that I did wonder whether or not I should put it in a picture frame and hang it on the wall. But then I reasoned with myself that textiles are meant to be touched, lets face it how many of us can walk through a department store without fingering a garment or two as we glide past.
Any how, I'm sure Granny Pilley would rather it was adorning one of Dunnelms finest feather cushion pads on Wonderful Mans sofa rather than scrunched up in the corner of a cardboard box never to see the light of day.

And this is the back, little green, velvet button loops finish it off.
I even managed to find 3 buttons in my stash with a wavy design on them to match the fabric.
(Apologies for the very poor light, but it's been crap here, it's like living in a hobbit hole!)

Next is a quilted patchwork cushion with a vintage vibe. This one is NOT on Wonderful Mans sofa but sitting prettily in my Folksy shop waiting for someone with infinite good taste and a space on their bed/chair for a some embroidered and patched scrummyness.

No attention has been spared here. The back fastens with 2 embroidered covered buttons and coloured lace button loops. I'm on a roll now girls.


I've also made 3 bunnies for my Folksy shop, this unusual soft green one has already hopped off to pastures new though. (Just as well really as I was very temped to keep her for myself, tut, tut!)

Another Springtime bag has been carefully completed, actually there have been 2, but the pretty pink one I made was snaffled up by a friend before I could even photograph it! This one started out as a tray cloth, but life had been hard on her and she had some pretty grotty tea stains on her bottom. OO er! Notice the hobbity lack of light again!

Talking of tea, (Good link eh? My posts aren't just thrown together you know.)
Talking of tea...

I've been making padded removable liners for these vintage embroidered tea cosies.

Put the kettle on Polly!
(Yes I know they are budgies but I couldn't think of anything for a budgie!)

Now this one IS mine!
(Note to self; Must start using a teapot.)

Phew! I think we're up to date now. Well actually we're not because I know I have something else up in the attic that's finished but it is awaiting some daylight to be photographed.
Anyway... Lastly, this is my work basket today.
Can you spy those little embellished hearts?
Yep! I know. I'm a big tease...
till next time
love fi x


32 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

Thank you for adding me to your '20' minuets group and for the happy BD wishes. I've enjoyed your beautiful post...love the pillows and tea cozies you've made! I bought a similar tea cozy from an Etsy store..and loved it. then along came Christmas last year & son bought us a four slice toaster....into the sideboard went my embroidered tea cozy which I had been using as a toaster cover....I forgot to say. &...how clever...'your hobbity lack of light' I've always thought that sort of home in Peter Rabbit to be most delightful....lol (in an imaginary world of course)

Living the frugal life in France said...

You have been busy. I love all thethings you have made but especially the bunny.
Sue

Sally said...

You really have been productive. Thanks for setting such a good example for all of us. I started out this year with a list of projects I want to complete and then I prioritized. Now to actually begin. Went to the Road to California quilt show today in Ontario, CA and bought more stuff. Mostly it was fabric to be used in projects on the above mentioned list. First two projects on the list are Peter Rabbit baby quilts for two sweet baby boys... You'll only find fun projects on my list.

Annie said...

Wow wow wow. Fi you really have been productive. Gorgeous works of art too....each one of them. Good luck with sales....I have a feeling they will fly off the shelves.
Hugs,
A x

Marigold Jam said...

Gosh you have been busy! Lots of lovely inspiring things there - must get my needlework hat on and have a go at something myself!

Jane

Hen said...

Well done Fi, you've had a very pretty and productive start to the year. Long may it continue!
Hen x

KC'sCourt! said...

You are so inspiring - I just want to be you! Everything you make is so GORGEOUS.
Julie xxxxx

Ash said...

Don't you just put me to shame with all your output!!.... keep going girl, they all look great. Like the idea of the pastel coloured rabbits.
xx

French Nanny said...

Funny thing - Bags and tea-cosies are my favourite things! I did a book on crochet bags and at present I am making a tea cosy from an old Patons Bazaar book - it's called Flower Basket.

Cheryl said...

How productive you've been. Makes me wonder what I've been doing with my time. I have a few embroidered pieces, that I should build up the courage and cut up. When am I going to use a tray liner or such like? It would be nice to give them a fresh start.

Sweet Birdy Love said...

Hey Fi, you certainly got 2011 off to a flying start and put us all to shame......

I love everything, I'm sure they'll fly out of your shop.
Your little, green bunny is very cute and the tea cosies, just wonderful.

I'm sure 2011 is going to be a big year for you and your shop.......

Have a fab weekend.

Claire X

Kandi said...

Wow, you have been a busy bee! I love it all, really I do but I'm so pleased at how you have used that embriodery, it would have been a shame for all those hours of work to sit unloved in the dark somewhere, it's a beauty!
Kandi x

Twiglet said...

Oh my goodness! It's all so beautiful! You really do have the knack of transforming those embroidered pieces. You have done Granny Pilley proud there!

Two Wednesdays said...

They're beautiful.You are so talented and I so hope that your Folksy shop takes off in a big way this year ( it should!). I love seeing what you have been making .

Devon said...

Wow you have been a busy bee,,and everything looks beautiful..I dont see you slowing down anytime soon..now just blow some of that motivation across the pond...pleaseeeeee...have a fabulous weekend..

Anonymous said...

Everything is so beautiful, especially the little spring bag!
Vivienne x

Anonymous said...

Wow! Have you slept at all this month?! You've made some gorgeous, gorgeous things. I love the cushion and the green bunny in particular. Very Spring like, which is just what's needed at the moment to brighten up these grey days.
Cathy XX

Winifred said...

My goodness all those things are so gorgeous. I need a kick up the bum to get me going, hope I can manage to make even just a few things this year.

Thanks for shaming me into action!

maryannlucy said...

Bloomin eck!! Have you had time to breathe??? I wish I had your talent! I'm afraid I'm a Love it, but it ends up living in a box - so pleased you can give these pieces new life x

Serenata said...

Oh lots of lovely gorgeous sewing projects finished there Fi. The rabbit is especially gorgeous in that colour and your tea cozies are great.

As for lack of light, it is a real problem at the moment isn't it.

JP said...

love both cushions - they really work

Tea with Prudence said...

Dear Fi,

That was such a find, getting that embroidery!! I fell in love with it.

And you've done it justice.

Cheers
Fi

Alchamillamolly said...

Well where do I start - love all of the pics on the post - especially the green bunny - I say good morning to ny bunny every day without fail when he spies me from the dresser arriving bleary eyed in the kitchen! I am supposed to be making cushion covers and hall curtains this weekend but we are clearing Dads loft out on Saturday which will be a big job. I made some hearts out of card a little bigger than yours - I love them but no one has ever pciked them up on my stall!! They are one of the favourite things I have made!!

val said...

This is just to say a BIG THANK YOU to you Fi for having this brilliant idea of 20 Minutes that has inspired me and kept me happy and carrying on all year. You know, you must have given so many of us such inspiration and impetus to craft :0) That is a lovely thought isn't it?
Well 2011 is now here and I will continue happy with my 20 Minutes (not every day I must admit) but most days there is something being crafted.
I wish you well in your New New Year, that it will be a happy and Very Creative one.
Thank You again Fi,
love Val xx

Carol said...

My word you have been busy!
Particularly love the embroidered cushion and the bunnies.
Carol xx

Gilly Tee said...

I love it all, very inspirational.
Gillxx

Sandi said...

WOW Fi, do you sleep, I love everything!!!! I must take a photo of my embroidery that I started in school and it still isn't finished...and it is very, very colorful, not sure I would pick such bright colors now, but then again.
x Sandi

Rosa said...

I like it so much! All of your works are wonderful!
Greetings from Italy!
Rosa

Anonymous said...

Phew! what a lot! All beautiful of course and rather makes me think hhmmmmmm! I need to get busy. Thanks for taking the time to show us.

monique said...

WOW, what a lovely things you have made, all so gorgious!You sure have been very busy.

melanie said...

Utterly gorgeous sewing, your so very talented :) xxx

Clara said...

WOW!!!! I love all those handcraft, but the bag is gorgeous! I like the way you create wonderful works with felted wool.