Tuesday 30 June 2009

Buttonhole, Buns and Barbie.


Hello my lovelies.

Gosh I feel like I've been away from the blogging world for ages. I know that I 'blog without obligation' but I still feel I should apologise for being away for so long. I just seem to have been so busy at work and at home. Consequently I have a camera full of random photos that I some how have to put into order. (sorry life's too short, I've just noticed there are 115 photo in my camera, you'll just have to have them as they come!)
.

Deep breath, where shall I start?


Well I've had quite a lot of these beauties to launder of late.
Aren't they gorgeous tablecloths? I think they would make the most beautiful and unique boudoir curtains if cut up the middle. Yes I can hear you shrieking from here! Honestly it's better to give them a new life as curtains where they'll be seen and admired every day, rather than them being folded up in a drawer for months on end never seeing the light of day.

As you can see from the contents of this basket, I've been cupcaking and still need to make many more.


I've made a little seat pad to fit a child's rocking chair.


We've also been out and about as you can't possibly waste this fantastic weather that we've been having lately. For many years I worked weekends so now Wonderful Man and I like to spend our Saturdays and Sundays out and about together as much as possible. Especially since our 'escape to the country'.


But more about that another time, I think I'll try and keep this post to homey, domestic, sewy things or I shall get terribly confused and flummoxed. I don't know about you but I find it really hard to get back into blogging if I leave it too long between posts. I suppose as with most things little and often is best. (Gosh! I sound like someones granny!)


Here is Barbie awaiting her make-over into glamorous trapeze artist (it's a long story, trust me you don't need to hear it.)
TADAA! One glamorous trapeze artist created! (Please note here, that if you ever have to make Barbie a tight waist cinching costume... her bum is waaay big compared to her waist, which makes it nigh on impossible to pull said tight waist cinching costume up over said big bum. Be warned!)
Ah. Here we have some prototype pin cushions bobbing about in my basket. These were inspired by Karen at Contemporary Embroidery. I've been dying to have a go at this peek-a-boo button hole stitch thingy for a while now. I love button hole stitch, I made teeny tiny buttonhole flowers on these miniture teddies, yonks ago. Mine are made from vintage linen though, not quite as luxurious as Karens work which is in silk. They also have a fabric covered hard base so that they stand up properly. I'll take some more photos another time when they have evolved a bit more.

I love this picture. It's part of my stash of old embroidered linens. Hmmmm! All that pretty, lineny scrummyness! But what are you going to do with them all I hear you cry!
Well I've been doing a little bit of this with them.

Chopping them up so I can put them back together again.

Every scrap of embroidery used. (I even keep all the off cuts just incase I think of something to do with them one day.)

See! It's not always bad to cut up beautiful old tablecloths! Hopefully this one will now grace someones bed or sofa and be gazed upon every day. (I say 'hopefully' as this cushion is now for sale in the most lovely little gift shop just opened in our village. As soon as there is a web site I'll pop you a link up.)
.
Ah well, thats 16 photos down, 99 to go!
(Only joking! Ha ha!)
I won't leave it as long next time. Promise X

9 comments:

Colette said...

Welcome back!!!

I have missed you and your creative blog.

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Colette

Sal said...

I frequently chop up old tablecloths etc (without feeling guilty!) so it's nice to find someone else who does the same!!
Good to see you back!
;-)

Vintage to Victorian said...

Nice to see you! Love the cushion. Some might say it's sacrilege to chop up the cloths, but my view is like yours, they were made to be enjoyed and as such can be 'amended' in whatever way is best - especially in rabbit form!! Still loving mine!

Sue x

Pink Feather Paradise said...

I need to find 12 lovely table clothes for my mum and dads golden wedding anniverary... I don't want to use that paper banquet roll... looks like a trip to some charity shops is in order... ;D

I haven't blogged in ages... I really must take some pictures and get posting...

glad your all well
take care
Alex x

Jo said...

The cushion is absolutely beautiful - upcycling at its best!

I was so pleased to see that you'd posted, looking forward to the next one!

dorothybills..... said...

ooh I love that photo of all that lovely linen also! I too have piles of material just waiting for the right idea to make into something special, happy sewing

Diane said...

Great post - I feel as if I have been hit by a whirlwind!! I struggle to cut into old things - I'm such a wuss!!

BT said...

What a wonderful idea to chop up old lined. Ihadn't thought of it. I love love that cushion. And your pin cushions, I can't wait to see how they evolve. You are so talented.

Anonymous said...

I not long ago made Curtains for my laundry window from a similar Lace tablecloth, i was totally impressed with the end result, Pity though its on the Laundry's window .