Wednesday 26 June 2013

Ir-resist-able felted black bag.



Hello my lovelies, yes that's what you are, you are all lovely, lovely, lovely
I like the word lovely, it even looks pleasing to the eye doesn't it?
 'Lovely' 
It has a kind of symmetry to it made a little bit quirky by the the long tailed y at the end. 
No I've not lost my marbles, I'm just feeling in love with life today. No particular reason although your lovely, kind, cheery comments always help heaps. You never fail to make me smile with your kindness and generosity. Take this lovely comment from Dottieven on my last post.

"I sooooo look forward to your blog and today's was especially welcome. Suddenly all my stresses melt and I look forward to finishing a bag I 've been knitting. Thank you - peace reigns!"

Now Dottieven didn't have to leave a commet, she didn't have to tell me that she looked forward to my posts or that she was feeling stressed or even that she was knitting a bag but she did and I'm mighty pleased that she did. She made me smile and feel like I'd made a little bit of difference to somebody elses day. Isn't that wonderful that a total stranger (obviously a lovely stranger) can have that effect. The power of a few tippety- tapped words eh!
So thank you all, you'll never really know the difference you make with each little tippety-tap.
Well here is the new piece I wanted to share with you my friends. It's in the middle of being felted in this picture, still very wet and you can see I've not cut out the handles yet.
This is a first for me. 
This is a felt bag made from one whole piece of felt with no stitching or seams. It's made using a resist which is the white shape you can see beneath the felt. The felt was made around the resist until the felt starts to shrink and then you have to slice it open and remove the resist. As you can see the felt shrinks quite a bit.
Here's a closer look, still damp and waiting for me to perform the scary bit... cutting out the handle shape.
Flip it over, this is the back. We've already discussed on my last post how I can't leave the back blank, lol.
 Ta-daa! 
All finished. 
What I neglected to photograph though is the inside of the bag which is bright pink!
And as for the handles... they didn't turn out too bad for a first attempt. 
Anyway it's now residing in the Chapel Gallery so we'll wait and see what the response is. I'm hoping it's good as I've already started on another one!

Till next time
love Fi x

18 comments:

Annie said...

I have to say you lost me in the 'how to make it' bit Fi but I will say I love it. Hope it sells quickly for you :-)
Hugs,
A x

Mia said...

Wow! What a GORGEOUS bag!! I love it. It is lovely :)

Jess said...

It's so gorgeous! I love the colours you've chosen too. The shop it's going to must look wonderful with your bags there.xx

Elderberry-Rob said...

I love it' it's beautiful and perfect - how clever to create the bag in one piece and even to have a pink lining! wow. I would like a little purse/evening bag made this way methinks. Congratulations on a successful new creation. By the way I too find your posts a welcome treat and always feel inspired by you. Thankyou

Elderberry-Rob said...

I love it' it's beautiful and perfect - how clever to create the bag in one piece and even to have a pink lining! wow. I would like a little purse/evening bag made this way methinks. Congratulations on a successful new creation. By the way I too find your posts a welcome treat and always feel inspired by you. Thankyou

... Bimbi said...

You ARE a clever girl!

Bimbi x

The Weaver of Grass said...

I do agree about blogs making one feel good Fiona. I really get such pleasure out of the blogs I communicate with - they make the day seem good even if it is pouring with rain. I like the bag too.

Esse-Riekje said...

Really beautiful.....

Anonymous said...

Just lovely and my colours too. I'm sorry I'm not able to rush over to Hawes tomorrow to buy it as I'm gallivanting until next week.

Twiglet said...

So clever and that colour combo is really lovely. I just love the way you get those flowers to ping out! x Jo

Lynne said...

I love your work as always. I enjoyed your earlier post on a walk to the Green Dragon. We had a caravan at Shaw Gill for a few years. It's a lovely area.

susie said...

Again a work of art !!!

Have a nice evening ..

Jeanne Feijó Machado said...

Sou apaixonada pelo teu trabalho, sempre dou uma espiadinha nas tuas obras. Lindo! Lindo! Maravilhoso! Parabéns desde aqui do sul do Brazil, de uma fã.
Jeanne

Fiddly Fingers said...

Such a 'lovely' uplifting post. A wonderful bag too. What a gorgeous explosion of colour.

KC'sCourt! said...

Its Absolutely Gorgeous
Julie xxxxxxx

French Nanny said...

It's really lovely I don't think it'll be in the Gallery long...

Penny
x

Shortbread and Ginger said...

It is absolutely beautiful - very classy!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Linda said...

Beautiful as usual! I'm looking forward to the summer holidays so I can get back to felting again! Linda x