Sunday 8 April 2012

Embroidered hand felt and new beginnings.

Hi all. Here as promised is my latest piece of embroidered, wet felted...felt. Would you like a closer look?
I nearly didn't finish this piece. Although the wet felting went to plan,
I wasn't overly pleased with the garden bench in the centre of the picture.

Maybe I'm just being a bit picky though, probably because I found this part particularly difficult to do. My sewing machine objects a little when it stitches over the same spot several times, which is a bit of a pain when you're machine embroidering!
It's growing on me though. I particularly like the two small bunches of dark pink flowers in front of the bench and the fallen rose petals on the path.

There is quite a lot of machine embroidery on this piece.

I
It's then finished with lots of hand embroidery, each little pink petal is cut from silk which I space dyed myself and then individually stitched in place.
And this is it's new home (not for too long I hope). This is Chapel Gallery in Hawes in Wensleydale. A brand new arts and crafts gallery offering craft workshops, coffee and of course MarmaladeRose goodies.
The new owners Anne and Tim Smithies kindly let me take a few pics to share with you all.
I think Anne is hoping to fill the gallery predominantly with art and crafts from local Dales artist but there is a sprinkling of fabulous work from farther a field.
Don't you just love these luscious ladies sitting having a chat. These are by the very talented Anna Mercedes Wear.
Anne herself is very gifted. She works in more mediums than I can list here, but in these pictures you might spy her handmade glass decorations, beautiful patchwork quilts, machine quilting DVDs, hand drawn cards, cuddly toy bunnies and art dolls, not to mention handmade ceramic and glass buttons! That's right ladies I said BUTTONs and we all love buttons, lol.
Turned wood bowls, coloured glass bowls, leather purses, and ceramics.
More beautiful wood, needle case-cushions, a couple of my felt brooches and fat owls, and some lovely little round angels.
On the bird table we have...well...birds and underneath are growing some of my crochet flowers.
Here are the beautiful sparkly class ornaments Anne makes. Dangling and...
standing to catch the light.
Buttons, buttons, buttons, drool!

Bunnies, bags and bowls. Glass, ceramic tiles and lavender hearts.
And last but not least a stunning exhibition of photographs of 'the locals' by Richard Hanson called The High Life. . Click here to see the photos in close up and more of Richards exciting work.

I hope you enjoyed our little day trip. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of Annes pride and joy...a very fancy, all singing, all dancing coffee machine! And I couldn't resist this last picture, lots new lambkins skipping about our fields. Aaaaah :)

17 comments:

**Anne** said...

Your garden artwork is beautiful. You are such a gifted lady. Love the photo of those lambs too. So cute.
Have a fab Easter,
Anne xx

lynn said...

Thank you for the virtual visit
Missing uk .. Very badly.... Indeedy
Xxxx

KC'sCourt! said...

Stunning picture its beautiful you are so talented!
Happy Easter
Julie xxxxxxxxx

The Weaver of Grass said...

Glad this arts centre has opened in time for Easter Fi. Sadly it is just a bit out of the way, so I do hope it makes an impact. It would be nice if someone bought the cafe opposite (I see it is for sale) too. Mind you - a lot of people visit the Rope Works and the National Parks Centre - so hopefully they will visit there too (and buy your lovely picture)

Annie said...

Morning Fi. Happy Easter to you. Your amazing embroidery pictures always inspire me. I'd love to do similar...if only I had time :-)
Hugs,
A x

Judith said...

What a beautiful embroidery! Lovely work. Judith x

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Love your felt picture - the colours are stunning!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

crafty-stamper said...

A beautiful embroidered felt
carol x

Twiglet said...

Your latest piece is as lovely as ever! The gallery looks the perfect place to display and hopefully market lots of your gorgeous "makes". Happy Easter.

Noelle the dreamer said...

Your artwork is stunning! I love the details and just like a painting I am sure I would find each time something else to admire!
Thank you for sharing and Happy Easter!

Sandi said...

I cannot put into words, how much your felt work tugs at my heart, soooo much work and love.
Little lambs are lovely, all springy.
xx Sandi

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Hi Fiona,
Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog.
I roll my fabric up when stitching larger pieces on my sewing machine, I have never tried a long arm one before.
What a beautiful gallery space, very inspiring.x

glor said...

My goodness, your embroidered piece is a masterpiece! Such beauty. Your talent is incredible.

Claire said...

A beautiful picture. I just love stitched pictures,they have that added dimension to look at with the intricacy of the stitches. And the bench looks fine, a lovely rustic bench in a beautiful summery garden.

Wendy said...

Wow, your felt picture is just stunning!

mrsnesbitt said...

Gosh Fiona - hello neighbour! We are on the North York Moors just outside Whitby! We visit Hawes regularly - yes we are one of the many bikers who frequent the Dales when the sun shines. Only a couple of weeks ago we had a couple of visits......Reeth it was - love it. Nice to meet you.

Tea with Prudence said...

Hi Fi,

Wow, that felted/embroidered piece is stunning. And I think the bench suits perfectly.

Can I ask what you mean by 'space dyed'?

As soon as I start selling some paintings, Im buying one of your pieces. They are exquisite.

That piece reminds of some trompe l'oeil murals I did some years ago.
It's the kind of place I want to go and sit soak up the sights and sounds and smells.

Thanks for showing it.

cheers
Fi