Thursday 19 April 2012

Drawing with stitches


 Do you ever feel in limbo, not knowing what direction to take? Hmm..well that's how I've been feeling lately.
 Maybe it's not actually limbo, rather procrastination. Dithering about not knowing what to do or which direction to take, instead of just getting on and doing something, anything! Sometimes there are just soooo many things I want to try that I can't decide what to do. Or is just middle aged indecision, lol.
 Procrastination was one of the reasons I started this blog 4 years ago. Well if you're going to write to the world, you'd better have something to write about. So at first, blogging made me make things, so I  had something to 'show-and-tell' if you like. It worked! I sew most days and I'm now lucky enough to sell my 'makings' in a local gallery and online. 
Thinking about it now, you have all been a huge part of my journey.You have all contributed in helping me find my direction by reading this blog, commenting, emailing me, purchasing and commissioning work from me...supporting me with many gentle hands. I suppose, since mine is not the only blog you read, you'll be doing this unknowingly to many others out there, doing something really quite wonderful and understated, without even realising it. Well I've realised it and I'm so grateful to you all for each individual tiny little nudge in the right direction. As a whole you're a powerful friend. 
So here is my latest, 'what shall I do?' A little drawing done on the sewing machine of a friends daughter. The old linen napkin seemed a perfect choice for my subject matter as they are both what my life has been about, home, children, domesticity. They just seemed to go together.
 I came across the photo in one of my files whilst procrastinating! It was taken about 8 years ago in the back garden on summers day. The children kindly stopped their play to pose for me. 
Little 'A' sitting at the end was my chosen subject. I just loved the pose, the long gangley arms, the clasped hands and the lopsided bunches, lol. It's making me smile even now, lol.
Love Fi x

20 comments:

Annie said...

Aw how lovely Fi. What a lovely way to preserve the moment.
Please remember that what we do for you, you do it back to us too and thanks to your nudge I can proudly say there are very few days that I don't do my 20 minutes of creating in some form or other so you deserve a big hugs for that. :-)
A x

Twiglet said...

What an amazing likeness you have achieved Fi - that's so tricky to do with free machining. Go for it girl - it's a fab idea. Using the vintage linen is perfect - nice and firm to work on and will look great framed or mounted. x Jo

KC'sCourt! said...

Its gorgeous!
Julie xxxxxxx

Colette said...

amazing, would write more but got to go back to work xx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love the piece and I love this post.. so insightful. I'm glad to be one of the people that comes here to see what you are up to.

Unknown said...

Wow that is truely beautiful you are one talented lady. I so agree with you about blogland its an amazing place ;-)dee x

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

This is gorgeous! Wow!

French Knots said...

Your embroidery is amazing, you have captured Miss A so well. If you are able to work from photos I wonder if you are you taking orders?

The Weaver of Grass said...

Well done with that drawing Fi - very cleverly done. Lovely pic of the children too.

... Bimbi said...

That is just so lovely! What a great idea. Not to mention the talent.
Bimbi x

Maggie Ann said...

So sweet, and I love how talented you are! A great post to read and reflect on too. Blogging does stir us on in different ways...good ways.

Claire said...

Hey Fi, your picture your looks great, well done........

I have dabbled in doing some of these style of pics but I need to practice a little more...

Your talent and skill shines though, look forward to seeing some more...

Claire x

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know those 'what shall I do?' phases, so frustrating aren't they? And like you said, it would be far better to just do something, even if it's a bit half-hearted, than waste time thinking about what you might prefer to do.
That is a lovely picture in stitches, yet again I am so impressed with your talent.

Ali said...

What a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ali x

Campfire said...

That is amazing!

Carol said...

Hi Fi, wow, that is just amazing. It that is the result of procrastination then just keep on doing it!
Have a lovely weekend.
Carol xx

crafty-stamper said...

This is beautiful Fiona and a little memory captured
carol x

Anonymous said...

Beautiful just beautiful.

pam said...

What a perfect post to read this morning. It was almost like you were reading my mind - had gotten into my somewhat dithering, direction challenged (at the moment) mind and made me feel much better about it! So you see - your friends here are right - you give back just as much as you receive!

The drawing in thread is simply beautiful. I am struck by the pose - the quiet thoughtful simplicity of the captured moment. And I love that it so much resembles contour drawing and how that technique allows for a connection with the subject.

Thank you!

Annie Jeffries said...

Outstanding and such a lovely choice for a subject.