Wednesday 24 September 2008

Wedding Castle

It's 8:43am. I'm trying to write this before I go to work, because when I write my blog in an evening I'm sooo darn tired; and that means, quite frankly, you're not getting the best of me. When I go back and read some of my old posts, it makes me realise how concise, short and to the point they are. Not that I want to waffle you understand, but I want you to get to know me, my personality. This is a double edge sword of course, you may not like me deep down, but I feel I'm not being true to myself. Gosh, that's all starting to sound very deep. (and deep I'm not) I'm tempted to go back and delete this whole paragraph now. Nope, I'm gonna be brave.

So here's to the new me or the real me anyway ( I'll try my best)

Now I must tell you all, of my fantastic weekend. On Saturday morning wonderful man and I said goodbye to our children (my lovely parents had travelled up 120 miles to look after them for us) and set off for Scotland.

Neither of us have ever been to Scotland before and to be honest I wasn't sure we were going to get there this time as either, as the destination wonderful man had typed into the computer was only the nearest large town, not the remote castle we were headed for! But hey ho, the sun was shining, the sky was blue, and the scenery was fabulous. WM was in a good mood, which was surprising really as we were late setting off and I hadn't zipped up the suitcase in the hall way. Yep you guessed it, he picked it up and every thing fell out! Whoops! (yes he really is a wonderful man)

Two hours and several text messages requesting directions later and we arrived here


This is Comlongon Castle near Dumfries. The venue for the wedding of my best friends sister.


Isn't it beautiful? This is the view from the grounds at the back. The weather behaved itself beautifully. Just as well really, as the wedding ceremony took place in the garden under a lovely old tree.

Yep. That's me. In THE dress. You know the one, the dress that was impossible to find matching accessories for!!!


The bride was radiant, the groom very handsome in his kilt, the vicar was funny

and the bridesmaids look gorgeous in their purple gowns. Here I am with my best friend. We've been best friends since the age of 13 and practically lived in each others pocket through our teenage years. Consequently I feel like one of the family and have always been treated that way. I feel truly privileged to have been part of their special celebration, and I love them all deeply.

Here's the bride flashing the garter I made for her. Saucy minx!

And here are the shoes I had to dye and the bag I made. By the early hours of the morning my stockings had a lovely greeny blue tinge to them, but by then nobody cared, least of all me.

No, I had a smashing time.

So wonderful man and I would just like to wish the bride and groom a future full love and happiness. Oh! and we also wish they would book the castle for their first wedding anniversary, and invite all their guests back again to celebrate it with them... I'll be the first there!


I must just tell you all, that its now 8:15pm; So much for my early morning blogging, needless to say, I was late for work!

I'll finish with some pics of the castle.

Fi x


WM's choice of subject matter, 3 mummified cats found walled up, when they were doing renovation work to the castle.

7 comments:

Lesley's Creations said...

Hi Fi
I've been sooooo eager to see the wedding pics. What beautiful surroundings to have a special day. You look gorgeous! You all look gorgeous! I love the vibrant purple of the bridesmaid dresses. And you could start a new craze with dip dyed stockings from the feet up!!!! WoW I think that might catch on!! Talk soon. Not forgotten the challenge hand in date, Sarah on time too.
Hugs lesley. x

Kathryn said...

Hello Fi,
read your blog butnever comment, have been waiting to see how the wedding went. How gorgeous you looked, gosh you did a great job on your accessories. What a lovely time for you all.
With Smiles
Kathryn from Australia

Anonymous said...

MERCI DE NOUS FAIRE PARTAGER TOUS CES BONS MOMENTS DE JOIE AVEC VOUS
FELICITATIONS AUX MARIES
QUE LA VIE LEUR SOIT DOUCE ET HEUREUSE
J AI TROUVE VOTRE TENUE TRES BELLE ET FELICITATIONS POUR TOUTES CES TROUVAILLES DE COULEURS
MAINTENANT JE VAIS GARDER MON PETIT FILS DE 6 MOIS CAR MA FILLE DOIT FAIRE DES COURSES
A TRES BIENTOT

BON WEEK END
MARIE CLAUDE

This Vintage Life... said...

Wow, your outfit looks great! Looks like you all had a great day.
Your post made me a bit nostalgic as I too love Scotland and got married in a castle there:)
Deb x

Serenata said...

Oh my goodness, I know this is very late, but just read this post. We got married at Comlongon Castle in 1997!

Anonymous said...

Hey Fi,
Thank you for putting so many beautiful words together about our wedding, yes almost two years ago now. Cazzy told me about the pictures because she was having a noisey the other night. I have to say to see glipses of your home made me cry even in the bad weather it looked amazing, you nearly made me envious which is a feeling I normally don,t suffer from. Anyway I hope every thing is all ok with you and yours and this horrible hot weather finds you all in good spirits. Love and best wishes to you all from all in Hessle Hull. XXXXXX

Campfire said...

I too have only just read this. What a wonderful post, the castle is to die for and your outfit beautiful. You and WM make a lovely couple, not knowing your blog very well I wondered on the way, whether it was you two getting married!

I so love this part of the country and wish I lived closer or even in it. Thank you for your lovely pictures of the Yorkshire dales, taking me back - I've only flicked through it lately in a car, rather than seeing it from a bicycle.