Monday 8 September 2008

Living in the Clouds.

I love being a mum. As far as I'm concerned it's the best job in the world! In fact, if I could stop my children getting any older I would have stopped them at about 4 years old. Don't get me wrong, I think my children are fab, and I love every moment I spend with them (on the whole), and those moments are becoming more and more precious as they are now 15 and 13. I know they are nowhere near adults and still need me to take care of them, but I also know that I won't be at the centre of their world forever and that time is approaching faster than I want it to.

That's why I love these jam jars full of caterpillars. Child number 2 has them lined up on the back porch windowsill. They simply shout childhood to me, how many adults do you know who would collect Caterpillar eggs from the cabbage patch and then religiously feed them every day, spending hours recapturing them when they escape. We no longer have toy ponies and paddling pools in our garden but I'm very glad we have cabbages.



I took this picture from the attic at the end of last week. I often remark to my husband how living here is like living in a cloud. We often can't see the tops of the hills, it's as if someone has taken an eraser and rubbed out the top of the picture. Well here are the clouds, peeping over the horizon, just waiting to sneak up on us!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

BONJOUR

MERCI POUR LES PHOTOS VRAIMENT C EST SUPERBE J AI GRAND PLAISIR A LES VOIR ET CELA ME DONNE DU PLAISIR AU COEUR AVANT D ALLER TRAVAILLER
POUR LES ENFANTS OUI PROFITEZ EN PROFITEZ DE TOUT CE TEMPS QU ILS PASSENT A VOS COTES C EST QUE DU BONHEUR
BELLE BELLE JOURNEE ET A TRES BIENTOT
AVEC MON AMITIE

MARIE CLAUDE

Anonymous said...

We'e in the southern dales just below inglebourgh and its been a rare day this summer that we have seen the tops of the 3 peaks...looks like you had a beautiful day!

Joanne said...

Two lovely photo's that show what a wonderful place you live in. We went to the Peak District in July and the little guys would say everyday it's like we're living in the clouds.

Unknown said...

What marvellous weather you had that day. It's done nothing but rain down here. Great photographs are always awkward to get, and you got a really good one there.
Rosie x

pinkgreen said...

What a lovely post. How nice to live in the clouds - even if they are usual rain-clouds! It looks like a great place to live.
Cathy XX

jen said...

Beautiful views! It's exactly what I imagine while reading all the James Herriot books...lucky, lucky you!

Carol said...

Seeing the jars brought back some funny childhood memories ! I was not allowed to have a pet so I kept all sorts of things is jars, much to my Mums horror.
The view is just stunning, you live in such a beautiful place.
I am sure I recognise that view !
Carol x

Lesley's Creations said...

Hi Fi, How are the shoes coming along? When is the wedding? Do you think I could have a loan of child no 2 next year, to remove all the eggs from our cabbages. We stand a greater chance of getting some for tea!!! Talk soon. Hugs Lesley. x