Tuesday 1 September 2009

Tilda Cushion

Hello my lovelies.
Can you believe it's Autumn already! I feel so cheated! What happened to Summer? Anyway that's not what I wanted to talk about today. Actually I didn't know what to talk about today, I have some lovely photos of a trip out or I could show you my latest crochet project which I started quite by accident, or I could share my 'Tilda' cushion.
.
Tilda cushion I think.
This little project started with a bag of memory foam pieces my Dad brought me. I must say I thought he was slightly bonkers when he handed me a bin liner half full of pieces of foam he'd ripped off his new pillow whilst trying to make it more comfortable to sleep on. Now I come from a family where we don't throw anything away without taking a good look at it to see if it can be useful in any way. Though I did think he'd gone a step too far with this one, but I accepted it graciously with one eyebrow raised.

Well. You were right Dad. I did find a use for it. It actually made a really comfortable, squishy cushion. Just a small round one. I made a circular one as I'd seen the new Tilda, Sew Sunny Homestyle book on Hens blog which has a circular gathered cushion cover in it. Ideal to use up my bag of foam. Thanks Hen for sharing your book purchase.

I raw edge appliqued this big rose onto a lace edged linen doily for the centre of the cover.

And used some Cath Kidston fabric.

With wide red satin ribbon.
I'm a little disappointed with the finished cover as it would have gathered up more is I'd used a lighter fabric. (see Hens, they're gorgeous) but I'll know better next time.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

You have been busy. Those are too cute. Love both. Especially, the one with the bow. What a breathe of fresh air your blog is.

myvintageparty said...

Love it, I think it looks great!
Laura x

The Weaver of Grass said...

What I want to know is how you find time for all this, and your children, and work, and jolly jaunts to Kendal!! Do you sew late into the night by any chance. Do call if you are anywhere near.

Alchamillamolly said...

Hi there Fiona - my email address is catherinemaudsley@hotmail.com - sorry my husband is so vague!!

noelle said...

great cushions, look fab! x

Joshy and belle said...

i like your cushion, i love the flower in the middle on the doily what a good idea! fliss xx

Ana Paula said...

Love your blog! It makes feel in UK again. I lived in Colchester for 5 years and loved your country.
Kisses from Brazil.
Ana