Friday 8 February 2013

Radiance Shawl.


 This was my New Years knitting project.
A delicate, lightweight shawl for myself. 
I've never knitted a shawl before but then I've never had need of a shawl before. 
In fact the last time I wore a shawl was when I was 13 years old and a bridesmaid for my auntie. My dress was jade green which I was none too keen on and I had a white woolly shawl (which I'd forgotten about until now) as it was a March wedding. I was going to post a photo of me a la bridesmaid but unfortunately I only have old fashioned paper photos and they're up in the loft somewhere and I'm sat in front of the fire two floors below. I could heave myself off the comfy sofa and away from the cosy fire and go and search them out for your perusal but...we both know that's not gonna happen. 
Anyway I digress. Now being the wrong side of 40 I feel a chill sometimes and thoughts of woolly Cranford-esk shawls are starting to appeal mightily.
I have to say, I did enjoy making this one. The pattern is from Ravelry and is called Radiance Shawl by Helen Stewart. I'd bought the yarn (merino and silk) at the Knit and Stitch Show in Harrogate last year. All the details of the yarn and pattern can be found here. It was very straight forward and the pattern is written so that you can tick off each row as you do it and it also tells you how much you have completed as you go along. 
Easy-peasy.
How about a bit of patchwork next time?
Gosh! Listen to me...woolly shawls, patchwork quilts, you'd think I was getting ready to hibernate!

Till next time
love Fi x

24 comments:

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

What a Very Lovely Radiant Shawl. Hugs Judy

Elderberry-Rob said...

I like your shawl - cosy and practical - beautiful work. Look forward to your patchwork post. Betty

Chrysalis said...

Such a pretty shawl, Fi, and hope you enjoy the patchwork project. I'm starting to think a shawl for me would be a good idea but it will need to wait for all the WIP pile to go down first!! x

KC'sCourt! said...

STUNNING!
Julie xxxxxxx

primrosesattic said...

Hi Fi. Hope you are having a great weekend.Your shawl is so pretty.
I love the grey, it will go with most colours. I wish I could knit as well as that.
Rosezeeta

Angie said...

What a beautiful shawl! Maybe I should swap my crochet hook for knitting needles for a change!
Angie x

Knittynutter said...

beautiful shawl and I cant wait to see what happens with the fabric..

Carol said...

Stunning shawl, beautiful work. Patchwork next! Can't wait.
Carol xx

The Weaver of Grass said...

By the sound of the weather forecast you may well wish to hibernate tomorrow Fiona. Lovely shawl.

Dolunay -Alanayarts said...

ne kadar şık!

Judith said...

Your shawl is beautiful - and I'm so impressed by your knitting. Looking forward to the patchwork too. Judith x

Twiglet said...

Well it might be easy for you but it looks darn tricky to me - its beautiful. That quilt/patchwork fabric is gorgoeus - will love to see what you do. x Jo

Anne said...

The shawl is absolutely beautiful.

Noelle the dreamer said...

Beautiful Fiona! And something for yourself!

Plain Jane said...

Good grief - if that's your first shawl you deserve a medal! It looks absolutely beautiful - well done x

My Norfolk Life said...

Wow - your shawl is amazing! So very very pretty.
Claire

mags said...

Wow! Very impressive first shawl and you must be getting lots of pleasure from its beautiful warmth!

Winifred said...

I do like that shawl, very swish!

I've taken to knitting & wearing lace shawls too. I can't ever remember wearing knitted ones but they are fabulous. I hate to take a shawl off, they are so cosy. I got quite a lot of lovely patterns from Ravelry so many thanks for the link I'm off to check it out. I've loads of lovely wool to use up!

Unknown said...

what lovely knitting Fiona. x

Unknown said...

A very big thank you xxxx

Anonymous said...

Three words: gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Love it. :)

Becks said...

I love your idea that being 40+ means shawls are a good idea. I seem to have developed a major shawl interest since turning 40 too, which the grown up children find very amusing. They're quite keen on borrowing them though.....
xx

crazydazy said...

hi, what a beautiful shawl I have just discovered your blog - your work is inspirational, ali

Mistea said...

Your shawl is beautiful - Enjoy wearing it.