Saturday 10 January 2009

New Fabric and Hearts.

Well, my house guest went home today. We've had a lovely week. Lots of chatting, some shopping, a visit to Farfield Mill at Sedbergh, Lakeland at Windermere, and my favourite Embsay Craft Mill near Skipton. Oh yes, shelves and shelves of fabric, sewing notions, yarn, embroideries, paper crafts and the cherry on the cake... it's own little cafe! What more could a girl ask for?
I made a couple of purchases. Well I couldn't come away empty handed and disappoint you all, could I?
This is my favourite. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. A little applique maybe?
This one comes a close second.

Just had to have this fat quarter.
And some embroidery threads.
Yep, there's definitely some applique and hand embroidery on the cards.
After all that newness, I would like to share one of my recycling tips with you.
Keep your eye out for cheap bags when your in the charity shops. This one cost me a £1.75 and after I'd butchered it with a pair of sharp scissors;

I've gained a zip, a magnetic fastener and two little clippy things with matching D rings! What a bargain!
Shopping is all well and good, but I got down to some crafting this afternoon. We've been thinking about Valentines Day at work, and need something eye catching to advertise our Valentines Day disco.
A piece of underlay fibre board, cut into a heart shape. It was very easy to cut and it's also very light.

Covered both sides with fabric.

Hopefully this will hang in the window and we can pin our adverts on both sides.
I've also stitched together a strand of pink hearts to hang from the ceiling, we'll needs lots of these. I'm not sure I had my machine on the right setting for these, as it didn't seem to like sewing them. Any suggestions?
That's about it for today girls. Oh, the dusty old Singer Sewing Machine. It lives on one of the landing windowsills at work. Quite forlorn and forgotten. As you can see it's in need of some TLC. Well quite a lot of TLC actually as it doesn't work. I'll keep you posted...

4 comments:

Poppy said...

I have only just stoped stamping my feet after seeing all that lovely fabric!
I love what you done with the heart it looks fab!
Sounds like you had a lovely week; I look forward to seeing what you do with your lovely fabric
Love Lou xxx

Shabby Chick said...

NICE fabric, love the hearts especially! Sounds like a great week, and I'm v jealous of the craft mill! That's a clever idea with the heart, hope it catches peoples attention :)

Mel xxx

Joanne said...

Oooh lovely fabric buys, I love the heart one and those embroidery threads are gorgeous.
Great tip about the charity bag, i'm of to the charity shops tomorrow.
Joanne xx

Pink Feather Paradise said...

What lovely fabrics and it sounds like you had a lovely time with your house guest, the heart is a fab idea and will no doubt draw peoples attention, how many strings of hearts are you doing? they are very cute.
I think the first sewing machine I ever used at Junior school was just like that one, and your bag purchase only goes to prove that we need to look at everything in different ways and see the unusual potential it contatins, well done you!
Alex x