Friday, 7 October 2011

Filling the gap.

Well it looks a little sad doesn't it?

This is Jacks new home at uni, a tiny back bedroom with a bed, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers, a workstation and a chair... I took this picture quickly before we left him there to come home. I just needed a something tangible, a little link with him all those miles away.

I must say, you'd all be very proud of me, I didn't cry at all. In fact there were more tears when I read all of your lovely heartfelt comments! I felt like I had dozens of bloggy arms around me giving me a big hug and an understanding nod. Thank you :)

The nearest I came to tears on the day was at bedtime when I walked past his open bedroom door and it was all dark and empty inside, gosh that nearly got me I can tell you! Although his room wasn't empty for long. #2 was in there like a shot, measuring up wall space and calculating how many kilos of Blue Tac she'll need for all of her posters! Needless to say she's now well and truly bedded in.

I on the other hand feel a little lost up in the attic on my own. I need to have a good sort out and re-organise my textile stuff.
Organised chaos, that's what it is! How I manage to work amongst all this clutter I really don't know. Looking at this you wouldn't believe that really I'm quite an organised and methodical person. Maybe that's it! Maybe the organised me is battling with the creative me and visa versa.

I hope the creative 'me' wins. I know exactly where everything is, it's just that where it is... is not very tidy!


It's no good I've been trying to avoid saying the C word but I can't put it off much longer. You see I've been invited to take part in three craft fairs this week. I don't mean the craft fairs are all taking place this week, no, the invitations all arrived this week.


What do you think?

I'm not sure. I think it maybe needs something more...

.

Edited to add. It's been 12 days. He's ok. Getting on fine with his housemates, not missing us yet, not eaten any fruit or veg yet, but will do soon (at mums request). Asked for a net curtain for his window (neighbours are much closer than they are at home) All's well.




18 comments:

Claire said...

Hey Fi, good to hear Jack is getting on well and that you were able to 'Keep Calm and Carry On'..........

Love the little peek at your attic, looks very much like my kitchen table........I find that when creativity strikes, being methodical and tidy stems the flow, so I just have to work amongst the chaos and tidy up later......much later, hehehe.........

Your wreath looks great.
I think it may need to be filled out a bit with more leaves and berries or maybe place them closer together just in the bottom half.

Well, back to the sewing, just have to find the machine first under all the ........um stuff!!

Claire :}

Kris said...

I had such a hard time when my kids moved out. Oldest married and moved out of state for one year. But they have been back for 9 years now. Youngest went away to college, but only 1 year. Middle...well, she seems to stick quite close to home.
Keeping busy is what we need to do. Love the wreath!

Poppy Cottage said...

It is the empty bedroom at home that has got me too. Jose is NOT homesick you understand, be just missed the dogs and her own bed hence getting a train home this coming Sat to arrive at 9pm, then a train back up at 6pm on Sunday - crazy.........

But I am NOT home sick Mum!!

Your attic looks just like mine, (I really do mean JUST and mine is also my bedroom but at least you manage to actually work in yours, put me to shame. The Christmas (sorry I love that word) wreath looks really good.

Have a lovely weekend.

Colette

serendipity said...

This sounds so familiar. Don't worry, He'll be back for Christmas before you know it and it gets easier each time they go again. Best not to think about his diet and the state of his house, he'll survive!

The Vintage Gardener said...

Love your wreath, maybe it just needs a bow.

Alchamillamolly said...

Hi Fiona What a brave Mum you are, he will be fine. I agree with Claire about the leaves in the bottom half and I wondered if you could beef up the wreath itself, but love the leaves and berries

Annie said...

Hi Fi,
I must have missed your last post with all that has been going on here. I remember it well when we took our youngest all the way up to Newcastle to uni but unlike you I did shed tears...it seemed such a very long way.
Love your 'C' garland....less is more :-)
Hugs,
A x

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

As hard as it is for you at least you can take comfort that your boy has settled in well. Love the holly leaves on your wreath

Janine said...

Hi Fiona, the Christmas wreath IS beautiful, I do think it needs a little something extra to fill the gaps, sure you will come up with it. My children are heading towards the end of the nest, my eldest is doing her final year of school and my son has 3 more yrs to go. I have a little cherry on the top who is 6, but nervous about the others launching out. Take care, and keep on creating!

Twiglet said...

Beautiful C wreath. We have a craft fair on Saturday but, with all our latest upsets, I just haven't felt much like Christmas crafting. We do have lots of pretty things to go on the stall - I just hope we manage to sell a few!

Anonymous said...

You're wreath is really lovely. If you wanted to add something, maybe just a touch of something gold or silver - a tiny, shiny ball here and there, or a thin metallic thread strewn "artistically" about.

I remember when we sent our daughter off to university. We lived near San Francisco and she was accepted at a school in Denver, Colorado - 1200 mile away from home!!! That was 10 years ago; we all live in Virginia now (5 minutes away from each other) and I'm the grandmother of two little boys. Life just takes you from one "adventure" to another!

Kathy in Va.

Anonymous said...

You see net curtains have their purpose - I am a fan!

I have organised chaos too. It is only when I tidy up that I don't know where anything is and that's when I hate it.

Pleased that Jack is getting on OK. It is not easy. I only have one and she will be going next year. I will be very sad and feel alone as a single parent. I will also have to move too which will be horrible but it can't be helped can it?

Anonymous said...

I'll be in your shoes this time next year. My youngest will graduate high school in May *HUGE SNIFF*. then its the empty nester life for me and The Dad.

dosierosie said...

I love your wreath but I agree it needs a little more.
Gillx

sue said...

Lovely wreath, but I'd be tempted to add a little more!
The most coveted room in our house is the smallest. It was my daughters, when she moved out number 1 son moved in, in fairness 3 boys in one room = chaos! Then he went and number 3 decided he should enjoy the space and as he's shorter than number 2 son, in he went! Now number 2 son has gone too and I kicked out number 3 son taking over the room for all my girlie stuff!

Maggie said...

When my two left home to move into their own flats/bedsits I used to love going to see them, whilst dreading seeing the mess! I hated leaving them, especially the elder, who was a lonesome young man, not disposed to have a lively social life, very happy in his own company. I knew that was how he preferred to live, he is much like me, yet still I felt sad for him, on his own....that never goes, no matter how old they get!

alisonb2 said...

Hello there. I'm pleased he has settled in. We all cried buckets when we came to leave our son at uni. There we were in his room in a family huddle!!!! It seems soooo long ago now. He's a fully fledged graphic designer and settled into his career. Ho hum! Love your wreath. I'm sure you will find the right thing to set it off. Hope the fairs go well. I'm still hooking and doing more than my twenty minutes! Take care.

The Patchwork Heart said...

so pleased you are happy cos your son's ok! same here this end the empty bedroom is tough though we are appreciating the spare bed! My son did not discover cooking for the 1st 2 weeks but has now proudly bought some meat! His fb is full of girls so I guess hes having a great time! Like you no signs of wanting to come home so thats good I guess! Heather x