Saturday, 8 August 2009

Come for the ride.

CLICK ON THE PHOTOS TO MAKE THEM BIGGER
Hello all, I had to go to the dentist yesterday (knees knocking!) luckily our dentist now comes to our village once a week and takes up residence in the doctors surgery. This is fantastic as it saves us a two and a half hour round trip! On the way home (euphoric cos I didn't need any treatment!) I thought I'd take a photo of the bridge over the waterfall from the other side of the village.
Anyway as I meandered home it occurred to me that since you all enjoy seeing snapshots of the local area, that you might like to see a little more.

So today, after quickly hanging out the washing. We made our usual Saturday excursion to our nearest town. Well when I say town, I mean a bigger version of our village. Its about a 30minute drive away. If we need to shop for something like clothing or shoes then we have to travel for about an hour in any direction to get to a larger town like Darlington or Kendal. But the local town of Leyburn suits us on a Saturday for our regular recycling ritual, then a visit to the two charity shops and finish off with a bite of lunch in our favourite cafe. (Talk about life in the fast lane!)

So on the way home I thought I'd snap away every 5 minutes or so...


and share our beautiful journey.


It's at this point I realise the car windows are filthy...

so I'll apologise now for the quality. sorry!


We are on the A684 heading West through the Yorkshire Dales National Park

I wasn't sure I'd be able to use any of these photos as every time I clicked the shutter we seemed to lurch over the biggest bump in the road.

And it is one of the most winding roads, (the motorcyclists love it) This is the village of Bainbridge coming into view.


This is one of my favourite views. Coming home in winter it's stunning as the sun sets behind these hills, creating about 4 layers of varying misty hills in the distance. (I'll try and capture it one day for you )



As you can see the traffic is mostly non existent, even though it's midday Saturday in the school holidays.

OOO! Look! another car!


Nearly home now





Here we are...

Our main street is a bit narrow and...

cobbledy, windy

I was just taking a pic of the church as we drove past and the battery died in my camera.
Oh bum!
.
Well I suppose this is as good a place as any to end our journey.
.
I've a piccy of some lovely new fabric to show you next time and my latest 'cake'. I hope you enjoyed our little jaunt?
bye for now. Fi x


20 comments:

Sara said...

That was fun riding along with you! I hope you do more of these posts in different seasons....thanks for sharing your lovely locale with the rest of us.

Fruitful Fusion said...

How lovely! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

SharonK said...

I enjoyed it too. I have never been to Yorkshire (shame on me). It looka lovely, just like Last of the summer wine lol. I live in a seaside town on the South coase so our surroundings couldn't be more different. Lovely, looking forward to the next tour :o)

marigold jam said...

How beautiful. I feel as if I was with you on your drive. I too would love to see the area in different seasons and weathers. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jane

Sarahs Home said...

I love the pictures, such a beautiful place to go to . Brings back lots of memories.

Sarah x

silverpebble said...

Oh, I realise you live about midway between my Mum AND my Mum in law. I love the landscape in that part of the country. The dry stone walls get me really excited

Lululiz said...

Ooh, what lovely photos, you live in such a very beautiful part of the country.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I think my car knows that journey on its own now, Fiona - but I enjoyed the trip with you nevertheless.
When I first came to live up here I used to keep saying "I can't believe I actually live here." Not sure the real locals think like that - I sometimes think they take the scenery forgranted.

Lindy said...

What beautiful countryside! Thanks for sharing these great pics! :)

Anonymous said...

BONSOIR FIONA

MERCÏ POUR LA TRES JOLIE BALLADE
VOUS NE POUVEZ SAVOIR COMME VOUS ME FAITES PLAISIR LORSQUE JE VOIS CES BELLES PHOTOS DU YORKSHIRE
C EST TOUJOURS UN GRAND PLAISIR
J AI L IMPRESSION D ETRE AUSSI DANS VOTRE VOITURE merci
A TRES TRES BIENTOT
MARIE CLAUDE
marie.sulpice@wanadoo.fr

rjk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maggie Ann said...

Fascinating! You live in such a beautiful place! I've enjoyed every bit of the trip. =)

Pink Feather Paradise said...

What a wonderful trip, I have been in the neck of the woods once maybe twice but I would love to visit for a proper holiday... maybe one day... thanks for taking us along on your trip..

X Alex

beadywitch said...

Sigh!!, Just the view form ur back yard gets me.............so free!!.
Sound like my Friday when hubbie and I visit the local Op shops.
Thankyou for sharing, and looking forward to seeing ur latest cake !!
xox Tracey

Serenata said...

Oh thank you Fiona, I enjoyed the journey with you. Such a lovely peaceful place to live, I am quite envious!

Shannon said...

Just spoiling myself with a wander through blogland this afternoon, and hopped over from attic24. What a delightful post! You live in a beautiful spot... I do envy those old stone buildings. Nothing like that in the northwest U.S. Thanks for the tour!

✂ ✂ ✂ ✂ ✂ ✂ ✂ ✂ ✂ ✂ said...

Hi!
Congrats for your beautiful blog!
I invite you to visit my crafty blog: http://lellilu.blogspot.com
Thank you! :D

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

YOU LIVE IN SUCH A BEAUTIFUL TOWN!
THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US ALL!
DEBBIE MOSS

Peta said...

What a gorgeous village you live in!

sylvia said...

It is beautiful where you live. I live 35 miles east of Los Angeles. It is green and hilly and used to be dairy country. I would give anything to live or experience where you live. It is just heavenly. Thanks for showing us! Sylvia